Skip to main content

Shahid Afridi says sorry for the 'spot-fixing' row

Pakistan One-day captain Shahid Afridi apologised on Saturday for the 'spot-fixing' row engulfing the tourists, and said the team had been warned not to discuss it.

Test captain Salman Butt and bowlers Mohammad Aamer and Mohammad Asif have been charged with various offences under the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption code and provisionally suspended, while the trio have all been interviewed by police.

The three were withdrawn by Pakistan from their Twenty20 and one-day series against England after being allegedly caught up in a plan to deliberately bowl no-balls during the fourth Test against England at Lord's last week.

"I think this is very bad news," Afridi said at Cardiff on Saturday, where the first of two Twenty20 internationals against England takes place on Sunday.

"On behalf of these boys - I know they are not in this series - I want to say sorry to all cricket lovers and all the cricketing nations."

He added: "These two Twenty20s and (five) one-dayers (against England) are a big challenge for me as a captain. The coach (Waqar Younis) and I have told the boys not to talk about this (spot-fixing) issue. It is none of our business - we are here to play cricket. The boys know that. They want to win, motivate themselves - and as a captain, that is what I want."

Britain's News of the World alleged it paid Mazhar Majeed, an agent for several Pakistan players, 150,000 pounds (185,000 euros, 230,000 dollars) in return for advance knowledge of the no-balls, which could then be bet upon.

Afridi said Mazhar had been "travelling with some of the team guys, in Australia and the West Indies. "I saw him on the tours and I didn't know anything about it."

The News of the World is a Sunday tabloid and Afridi said: "I've told the boys 'don't read the newspaper tomorrow - just focus on cricket'. I know the people (in Pakistan) are very upset, and it is very disappointing. But we all love cricket. We want to play good cricket, aggressive and positive cricket. If we can do that, maybe then when we go back home things will settle down."

Asked if all the One-day matches between England and Pakistan would go ahead, regardless of any fresh revelations, Afridi replied: "Yes, definitely." England Twenty20 captain Paul Collingwood said players might have to be more forthcoming with suspicions if they wanted fixing "eradicated" from the game.

"There's always been rumours but gradually, as things come out, it may be up to the players to tell the authorities if they think something is going on," Collingwood said. "Not just the players but commentators, umpires, all of us, we've all got a job to do in the end to get rid of all this."

The News of the World published its allegations last Sunday - the same day as England beat Pakistan by an innings and 225 runs - Pakistan's heaviest Test defeat of all time - to seal a 3-1 series win.

"Sunday was one of the saddest days in my career... I don't really what to have that feeling on a cricket pitch ever again," Collingwood said.

But Collingwood insisted the England Twenty20 team, the reigning world champions in the format, were ready for their two matches, both in Cardiff. "The players are definitely 100 per cent focused on the cricket that is coming up tomorrow and Tuesday."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangladesh Stock Market loses BDT 850 Billion

A total of Tk 85,000 crore have been channeled out through the Bangladesh Share Market within the last 30 working days, sources said. The General Index was 8918 points on December 5, 2010 and it labelled down at 6312 point on January 20, 2011.  The amount siphoned off during the last six month specially was very preplanned sources added. Total market capital was Tk 3,68,000 Crore (Tk 3680 Billion) on December 5, 2010 which now collapsed to Tk 2,83,000 Crore (Tk 2830 Billion) on January 20, 2011. Total Capital reduces of Tk 85,000 Crore (850 Billion), which amount is channeled out by the Market Makers in the last one month, sources said. 

Taliban now supports Girls Education

The Taliban are ready to drop their ban on schooling girls in Afghanistan , the country's education minister  said on Friday, 14th January 2011. Farooq Wardak told the UK's Times Educational Supplement a "cultural change" meant the Taliban were "no more opposing girls' education". The Taliban - who are fighting the Kabul government - have made no public comment on the issue. Afghan women were not allowed to work or get an education under the Taliban regime overthrown in 2001. Mr Wardak made his comments during the Education World Forum in London. He told the TES: "What I am hearing at the very upper policy level of the Taliban is that they are no more opposing education and also girls' education. "I hope, Inshallah (God willing), soon there will be a peaceful negotiation, a meaningful negotiation with our own opposition and that will not compromise at all the basic human rights and basic principles which have been guiding us to provi...