Skip to main content

120 died, 80 percent area under disaster in S Africa


A thick stench fills the air, there is no proper sewage system in the South African township of Themba Khoza - heavy floods have destroyed all the make-shift drains and bacteria infected water is flowing through the tiny pathways between the shacks.

Eight of the country's nine provinces have been declared disaster areas after floods killed more than 120 people.

Residents of the informal settlement north of Johannesburg are bracing themselves for more floods.

The settlement is home to more than 2,000 people - many of the houses here are built near a river, the Kaalfontein.

The river burst its banks last week, flooding many shacks in the process.

Tharafosa Molapo, 92, is hard at work, trying to build a sand barrier around his home.


The old man is frail but he says he needs to do this to prevent further damage to the home he shares with his wife.

"We cannot sleep when it is rains, because we need to remove the water from our houses," he says.

"I have been up from 0100 this morning, scooping out water from inside the house," he adds, while holding a rusty shovel in his mud covered hands.

He has been living here for four years and describes this year's rain as the worst he has ever seen.

No-one has died in Themba Khoza but Mr Molapo is worried what more rains will do to their rusty shack - it has been battered by many storms.

His neighbours are no better off. Mattresses, blankets, sheets and clothes have been taken outside to dry.

Doors stand ajar to allow the air to dry the wooden planks which hold up the shacks, residents explain.

Close to 50 families have been evacuated and taken to nearby police stations for temporary shelter.

It's been a very painful experience for me. We had to throw away a lot of things because they were just covered in mud.”

Local officials have been at pains to convince people living near rivers to relocate due to the flood risk - a battle they seem unlikely to win despite the nationwide downpours.

Like many informal settlements in South Africa, Themba Khoza has little or no running water, so for the thousands of residents a river offers a regular source of water.

But the community here is worried about the threat posed by the pools of the stagnant water around.

Green flies hovering in the air serve as a reminder of the filth.

"It's very worrying because we know that we could get all kinds of diseases from the dirty water that passes through here, it has happened before and we are worried that if the flooding continues we will definitely get sick," says Siyabonga Mfeba, who has lived here for four years.

Mr Mfeba's shack is less than 100 metres from the river bank. The floor of his shack is made from mud - when the rain came in the floor was eroded.

"Everything has just been destroyed," he says.

Mr Mfeba - who is unemployed - says the floods have destroyed many of the few possessions he had managed to amass.

"It's been a very painful experience for me. We had to throw away a lot of things because they were just covered in mud. I know I'll never be able to replace all of the things that were destroyed," he says.

Courtesy: BBC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangladesh Stock Market loses BDT 850 Billion

A total of Tk 85,000 crore have been channeled out through the Bangladesh Share Market within the last 30 working days, sources said. The General Index was 8918 points on December 5, 2010 and it labelled down at 6312 point on January 20, 2011.  The amount siphoned off during the last six month specially was very preplanned sources added. Total market capital was Tk 3,68,000 Crore (Tk 3680 Billion) on December 5, 2010 which now collapsed to Tk 2,83,000 Crore (Tk 2830 Billion) on January 20, 2011. Total Capital reduces of Tk 85,000 Crore (850 Billion), which amount is channeled out by the Market Makers in the last one month, sources said. 

Taliban now supports Girls Education

The Taliban are ready to drop their ban on schooling girls in Afghanistan , the country's education minister  said on Friday, 14th January 2011. Farooq Wardak told the UK's Times Educational Supplement a "cultural change" meant the Taliban were "no more opposing girls' education". The Taliban - who are fighting the Kabul government - have made no public comment on the issue. Afghan women were not allowed to work or get an education under the Taliban regime overthrown in 2001. Mr Wardak made his comments during the Education World Forum in London. He told the TES: "What I am hearing at the very upper policy level of the Taliban is that they are no more opposing education and also girls' education. "I hope, Inshallah (God willing), soon there will be a peaceful negotiation, a meaningful negotiation with our own opposition and that will not compromise at all the basic human rights and basic principles which have been guiding us to provi...