Skip to main content

Volcano erupts in Indonesian island of Sumatra for the first time in 400 years today

JAKARTA: A volcano on the Indonesian island of Sumatra erupted for the first time in 400 years Sunday, spewing a vast cloud of smoke and ash into the air and sending thousands of people fleeing from their homes.

Indonesia issued a red alert after the Sinabung volcano erupted, blanketing the area in thick and acrid black smoke, disaster officials said, although no casualties have yet been reported.

"It's clearly dangerous so we've raised the warning to the highest level, or red level," said Surono, head of the nation's volcano disaster alert centre.

"From the crater, it shot smoke and volcanic ash 1,500 metres (5,000 feet) into the sky," he told AFP. "Initially we thought the ash and smoke were triggered by rain but now we know the driving pressure was from magma."

The 2,460-metre (8,100 feet) Sinabung in northern Sumatra has not erupted for more than 400 years but had shown "some volcanic activity" since Friday, Surono said.

"Our team is coordinating with district and provincial officials to monitor the situation," he added.

About 9,300 people have been evacuated from several affected villages to towns outside a six-kilometre "danger zone", search and rescue team official Mohammad Agus Wibisono told AFP.

"The ash has spread to a distance of 30 kilometres (20 miles) from the volcano. Many of the villagers evacuated were farmers and they said the ash had settled on their vegetable farms," he said.

Disaster Management Agency spokesman Priyadi Kardono told AFP that many residents in four affected villages at the foot of the volcano had fled their homes immediately after the eruption.

"Many had left their homes even before they were evacuated. They said the volcano was spewing thick black smoke, small stones and sulphur. They were so scared they decided to leave their homes and go to the city," Kardono said, adding that a rescue team has been sent to survey the area.

"The area is blanketed with thick smoke and there's a strong smell of sulphur," he added.

He said while there were no reports yet of any deaths or injuries, "many" had reported breathing difficulties.

"We have anticipated that people may have respiratory problems from inhaling dust. So, we've given them face masks and are preparing to send in medicines for respiratory infections," he added.

Tents and food are also being arranged for the evacuees and "the situation is under control," Kardono said.

Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where the meeting of continental plates causes high volcanic and seismic activity. It has more active volcanoes than any other country.

Earlier this month, four people went missing after the 1,784-metre (5,853-foot) Mount Karangetang, on the remote island of Siau in North Sulawesi province, erupted.

Mount Baru Jari on Lombok island, near the resort island of Bali, erupted in May, spewing ash and lava at least 1,500 metres into the sky, damaging crops but not threatening villagers.

Source: AFP, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangladesh Stock Market loses BDT 850 Billion

A total of Tk 85,000 crore have been channeled out through the Bangladesh Share Market within the last 30 working days, sources said. The General Index was 8918 points on December 5, 2010 and it labelled down at 6312 point on January 20, 2011.  The amount siphoned off during the last six month specially was very preplanned sources added. Total market capital was Tk 3,68,000 Crore (Tk 3680 Billion) on December 5, 2010 which now collapsed to Tk 2,83,000 Crore (Tk 2830 Billion) on January 20, 2011. Total Capital reduces of Tk 85,000 Crore (850 Billion), which amount is channeled out by the Market Makers in the last one month, sources said. 

Taliban now supports Girls Education

The Taliban are ready to drop their ban on schooling girls in Afghanistan , the country's education minister  said on Friday, 14th January 2011. Farooq Wardak told the UK's Times Educational Supplement a "cultural change" meant the Taliban were "no more opposing girls' education". The Taliban - who are fighting the Kabul government - have made no public comment on the issue. Afghan women were not allowed to work or get an education under the Taliban regime overthrown in 2001. Mr Wardak made his comments during the Education World Forum in London. He told the TES: "What I am hearing at the very upper policy level of the Taliban is that they are no more opposing education and also girls' education. "I hope, Inshallah (God willing), soon there will be a peaceful negotiation, a meaningful negotiation with our own opposition and that will not compromise at all the basic human rights and basic principles which have been guiding us to provi...